Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Reclassifying FAQ's

Over the past couple of years, I've received numerous questions about reclassifying. Here are some that may answer some of your questions. If you need me to clarify or follow up, send an email to (adamdesautels@gmail.com), or message me on twitter @coachdesautels.

Q: I'm a 9th grader + want to reclassify, how do I start? A: Once you begin HS, you must graduate w/ your original class to be NCAA Eligible. In other words, once you begin HS, you don't reclassify unless you graduate on time and spend a post-grad year at a Prep School.

Q: How can you reclassify athletically but not academically? A: Go to a prep or take a year after HS. Still must graduate on time. But athletic only 'reclassifying' should only be done after graduating HS. Otherwise, its an easy to spot ploy to mask one's age.

Q: I'm young for my grade, can I just reclassify to the grade I should be in? A: No, not after you begin 9th grade. To be academically eligible through the NCAA, you must graduate on time with your original high school class.

Q: Where can I find all this information in one place? A: Here's a quick reference guide from the NCAA: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf. 

Q: I play U17, and some of my opponents are 20. How are they eligible?
A: They're not. If they're playing AAU at 20, its JUCO or bust.

Q: My coach or parent wants me to reclassify, should I?
A: I wouldn't. Focus on graduating on time. Often, these suggestions are uninformed or fueled by alternative motives. Check why they are suggesting you reclassify. Often coaches promote programs through rankings. If you're highly ranked in a lower class, they can use that to recruit future players. If you're paying to be on the team, your parents have to cut that coach a check for another year. Parents can (occasionally) get caught up in the rankings hype as well. Reclassifying can mask your age, which may result in a higher ranking, more publicity for you, your club, etc... but it comes at a price: your eligibility. 

Q: If I graduate on time, should I do prep school or JUCO? A: Depends on 2 factors - $ + time of eligibility. Prep is expensive, Juco isn't. While cheaper (or free), JUCO also counts against NCAA eligibility clock. One year at a Prep doesn't.

Q: Do prep schools offer scholarships? A: Depends on the school. Most players on scholarship already have HM offers but need a PG year. I wouldn't bank on earning a prep school scholarship, if you need one, you should be looking at JUCOs.

Q: How do prep school classes help you qualify in that extra year? A: D1 players can take up to one extra core. D2 players can take unlimited.

Q: What are the benefits to JUCO over prep school?
A: Many. JUCO is cheaper or free, you can gain eligibility if not eligible after HS, Juco is highly competitive still, and you could see playing time when otherwise you would be on the bench in college, among many more reasons. There is no shame in going to a JUCO. 


Q: How can I make sure to make a good decision about reclassifying?
A: Check with people who know the system, and make sure to graduate on time, all else is futile without that piece.

For more information, follow me on twitter @coachdesautels




No comments:

Post a Comment